Thursday, July 9, 2009

Having a flashback.


Friday the 17th of April I was hired by the Privilege Ultra Lounge to document their evening. Usually, this "Lounge" was only open on Saturdays, so the general club goers were clueless that it was indeed doing business. Even though there was a burlesque dance show, the place was a desert, and the only thing interesting to see was the shadow dancers featured above.



The next night I was re-hired and I made my way back. Along the way through downtown I stopped and shot this building, which later I was informed that it is the train station.

On Saturday the 18th, the club was rather bumping, rather quickly. With no real sense of assignment, I shot mostly in an artistic manner, assuming these photos would be used for background images on Privilege's website.


Unfortunately after the photos were received, the people who hired me told me that almost every photo was un-usable. Apparently all they really wanted were snap shots of people there, so they would find themselves on the club's myspace, and the club would be added to those people's "friends." Therefor promoting themselves thorugh myspace. It would have been nice to have been informed.

The cutie (who should have been in focus) in this photo was named Sophia. She was very enthusiastic, had an accent, and insisted on tipping me by shoving money into almost every one of my pockets. The guy who she was with didn't seem to mind. I wondered if they were swingers.

From what I was told, these fine gentlemen are featured in the musical, "Rent." The women pouring the champagne is the owner of the joint. I have better pictures of them all, but this one stands out because of the one throwing up the horns.

These people showed up quite late in the evening, and were probably having the most fun of anyone there. They danced, were obnoxious, and clearly they were people that stood out the most.


I'm sure in the eyes of who hired me, it was a failure. In my eyes, it was a valiant attempt to capture the essence of this place. I'm sure I could have done better if I knew exactly what they desired. But it was indeed an experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment